WASHINGTON, D.C. — April 16, 2014 — The National Network of Business and Industry Associations (the National Network) today applauded efforts by the Administration to better align education with skills employers need through the fourth round of grants under the Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training (TAACCCT).
“Better collaboration between community colleges and employers is an essential part of closing the gap between what students learn and what employers need,” said John Engler, president of Business Roundtable, an operational partner of the National Network.
While the National Network is focused on business sector leadership on the issue, it is encouraged that the last round of TAACCCT grants is focused on the partnership between business and community colleges.
“This fourth round of grants shows two significant developments: first, it directly connects business and industry associations as scaling partners with community colleges so that the curriculum that prepares students to achieve industry-recognized credentials for in-demand jobs can be made available across the nation,” said Parminder K. Jassal, founding executive director, ACT Foundation, which co-operates the National Network. “Second, we are encouraged that this latest round of funding will incentivize community colleges to actively engage with groups and not single employers to expand options for qualified workers and not subject them to the ups and downs of any one company’s business cycles.”
The National Network represents major business sectors and is funded through a collaborative partnership of Business Roundtable (BRT), ACT Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Joyce Foundation and Lumina Foundation. Members include leaders in the manufacturing, retail, healthcare, energy, construction, hospitality, transportation and information technology sectors. They represent the source of nearly 75 percent of projected U.S. job growth through 2020 (an estimated 30 million new jobs). More information on the National Network can be found here.
Inaugural Members of the National Network of Business and Industry Associations include:
- Aerospace Industries Association
- American Health Information Management Association
- American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute
- American Land Title Association and ALTA’s Land Title Institute
- American Moving and Storage Association
- American Public Transportation Association
- American Welding Society
- Center for Energy Workforce Development
- Home Builders Institute
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council
- The Manufacturing Institute
- National Apartment Association Education Institute
- National Center for Construction Education and Research
- National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence
- National Institute for Metalworking Skills
- National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation
- National Retail Federation Foundation
- Paraprofessional Healthcare Institute
- TechAmerica/TechAmerica Foundation
- Western Association of Food Chains